You know it’s time to renew your massage license when you start getting solicitations for massage continuing education courses. In states where continuing education units (CEUS) are expected, they are typically required every two years. For some of us, satisfying this requirement simply means finding the least expensive, least intensive courses we can take. However, rather than view continuing education requirements as a burden or a waste of time, choose to view them as an amazing opportunity.
Among the benefits you can gain from continuing education courses are:
- Learn a new skill
- Sharpen your existing skills
- Remove bad habits by reviewing proper technique
- Gain a new perspective on your practice
- Learn a low-strain technique that will prolong the life of your practice
How to Choose a Massage Continuing Education Course
What are the best massage therapy CEU courses? There are a wide range of prices and techniques offered in these courses, so deciding can be difficult. Here are some techniques to help you choose the best course for you:
- Choose a class that interests you – This is obvious, but sometimes lost in the confusion. Is there a technique that you’ve always wanted to learn more about? Use you CEU requirements as a opportunity to get the experiential knowledge of that massage technique.
- Choose a course with an instructor you know – A good teacher can make a course great. Likewise, a poor teacher can fail to make a subject as interesting or valuable. If you know a well-respected, well-reviewed teacher is going to teach a continuing education course in your area, it may be worth taking even if the subject matter isn’t your top choice.
- Choose course based on your own weaknesses – If you feel less comfortable or adept in one area, don’t ignore it! Continuing education credits are the perfect, low-stress opportunity to improve without using your clients as guinea pigs!
Don’t Wait to Benefit from Continuing Education
Even if you have satisfied your CEU requirements or don’t have another CEU requirement coming up, you can (and should!) take advantage of a good massage therapy workshop or course. At Advanced Massage Professionals, we offer top-quality in-depth courses on our Workshops page. Check back often to see if there is a course for you.